The Mizzou Alumni Association announced the 2022 18 and 39 winners this year on March 25th. Regan Ragsdale was one of the winners, and she is from Paris, Mo. In 2018 GRT awarded her the Lew Mar Foundation $1000 Scholarship. Lew Mar Scholarships are given to students interested in agriculture. Congratulations Ragan.
On April 6, 2022, the GRT Board had a Zoom meeting . The board discussed::
- The Summer Send-Off will be July 23, 2022 at the golf course in Palmyra, Mo.
- GRT will also be incorporating the Missouri Go Home Tour into our Summer Event
- The Athletic Department will send a coach to speak at our event. We will know who when we get closer to the event
- Donors were discussed and who would contact them. Checks will need to be sent to Jerry or deposited in the bank in Hannibal and the deposit sent to Jerry.
- Al will be checking into renting the tent.
- Morgan Kopitsky attended our meeting by Zoom. She helped us figure out if we had met all of our requirements for Columns and Capstone.
- The new scholarship picks were announced to our group.
- Ken Disselhorst will be our nominee for an MAA Award and McKenzie and Al will be responsible for getting that written and submitted.
“This scholarship has inspired me to work harder than ever to earn good grades, be involved, and help the Mizzou community any way that I can.”
Emma Deien, a returning student, is one of the merit scholars that was chosen by our scholarship committee. Money donated on Giving Day helps make the GRT Scholarships possible.
#MizzouGivingDay is coming up March 9-10, noon-noon CT! Help us Raise the Roar by making a gift to Great River Tigers. All money that we raise goes to scholarships for new and returning students. GRT gave out over $10,000 in scholarships to Mizzou students last year. In 2022 we will award 12 $1,000 scholarships and 10-12 $500 scholarships. Participate in Giving Day and give to GRT at the following web page – https://tinyurl.com/GivingDayGRT
Great River Tigers is rallying all friends, parents, and alumni to join MAA. You can join or renew your MAA membership and help GRT meet the requirements for our organization. Last year GRT gave out over $10,000 in scholarships for new and returning students. In 2022 we will award 12 $1,000 scholarships and 10-12 $500 scholarships. A portion of these funds comes from MAA memberships in our GRT area.
The link to joining online is: http://www.mizzou.com/joinGreatRiver
The link to getting an application to fill out and mail is: https://greatriver.missourialumnispaces.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/47/2022/02/Scan.pdf
The appeal code to let the MAA know that GRT is the organization responsible for recruiting you is CMT.
The four main reasons for joining can be summarized into four areas. By following the following link you can see what each of these involve: https://www.mizzou.com/s/1002/alumni/19/interior.aspx?sid=1002&gid=1001&pgid=10415
The Great River Tigers Board met February 1, 2022, by Zoom. The following items were discussed.
- We discussed the Summer Send-Off and decided that August 23rd will be the date unless we have to change to accommodate a speaker. A speaker was discussed. The softball coach was discussed as well as the new Athletic Director. Al was going to look into the possibility of getting one of those..
- Giving Day this year is from noon on March 9th to noon on March10th. In the past the MUAA has done a match of funds donated. That will not be happening this year. We decided that we will continue to urge people to donate on Giving Day to GRT. Everyone on the board will contact the ones they contacted last year.
- The board decided to participate this quarter in the Membership Campaign. We will be trying to get new members in February and March. Our president will contact Morgan about our particpation..
- The board also discussed how many scholarships we will be giving to the merit scholars that are selected in February. We already have money for 4 scholarships. The board decided to give ten merit scholarships.
The Great River Tigers Alumni Association held their 9th annual Student Send-Off on July 24th, 2021 at Jackson Park Golf Course in Palmyra, Mo.
This year GRT gave away 11 $500 scholarships by luck of the draw. GRT has already awarded this year $13,000 dollars in merit scholarships to 10 students from our area Over the past 9 years, GRT has awarded over $83,000 to 81 students.
This year GRT was honored to have as their speaker Dr. Bill Stackman, Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs on the UMC campus. Stackman joined the university in 2019 coming from he University of Notre Dame, where he served as associate vice president for student services.
|$1000 Merit scholarships
||$500 Luck of the Draw Scholarships
||Mizzou Alumni 4 year Renewable Scholarship
||Rachel Bringer Sheppard
||Lew Mar Foundation Scholarship
||Jared and Gina Pontius
||Chuck and Ina Rae Brazeale Scholarship
||Ron Dedert Scholarship
||Disselhorst Family in memory of Troy Disselhorst
||Jerry and Carla Schoeborn
||Schmiediskamp, Robertson, Neu, &Miller Law Firm
||Greg Sharpe Seed
||Mike and Kristine Bickhaus
||Gary and Kathy Fesler
||Fretwell and Associate Real Estate
||Al and Linda Kennett
Mizzou Giving Day this year is between noon on Wednesday March 10 to noon on Thursday, March 11. The Mizzou Alumni Association is challenging the local chapters to fund raise for student scholarships. The money raised will be deposited in the organization’s spendable scholarship account.
• Up to $100 will be matched for each unique donor.
• The minimum contribution amount per donor is $10.
• Gifts larger than $100 are encouraged, but only the first $100 per donor will be matched.
• Donations must be designated to an eligible affiliated MAA organization. Direct link to Great River Tigers Giving Day https://tinyurl.com/GivingDayGRT
• The matching limit is applied to the individual donor that makes the gift. Gifts made on behalf of another person are welcome, but the matching limit will apply to the person making the donation. A husband and wife may each make a $100 donation and use the same credit card.
Great River Tigers gives out a number of scholarships each year. One of our scholarship winners is featured below.
- Name: Amelia Jones
- Hometown: Palmyra, MO
- Major: Business Management
- Quote: While I still have to have a job while at school to pay for rent, this scholarship has helped me cover my tuition costs. I’ve been able to attend more social events, be more engaged in my classes, and be on leadership teams because this scholarship covered my heavier expenses. Without this scholarship, I would have missed out on many of these experiences that I am extremely grateful for.
Morgan Kopitsky hosted our Zoom meeting to plan for the Summer Send-OFF on July 16th. She showed us what she planned to do during the Zoom event. She plans on break out rooms, a trivia game, introduction of each student present, a pop in guest suprise, and the drawing of names for the scholarships that we will be giving away.